Thursday, July 02, 2015

Jumping Jack Flash.....



Thought we ought to take a little break today in the CUNA/NAFCU "run for the roses" dialogue.  After all, we're heading into a long weekend and need "to lighten up" a bit; and besides, The Rolling Stones played North Carolina's Capital City last night! So... Rah-Lee, Rah-lee !!!



But so what about The Stones?? Well, it simply means that this morning, I have over 400 scheduled business meetings in my office, with young baby boomers from all up and down the East Coast - seeking a note from "the doctor" that they are in Raleigh for legitimate business reasons!  Being a long time Stones fan, I've tried to accommodate them all, but it's going to be a l-o-o-ng morning.....!!!!

So, being way too busy and fully occupied with this  "business travel intrigue"; thought it might be OK to re-run my personal "Mick Jagger experience" one last time... (just to make sure none of us take ourselves too self-importantly seriously!).... 


So here goes.....

The worst thing about an ego is that it's a highly fragile, extremely eccentric, and remarkably convoluted little piece of work - overly sensitive, easily deflated, difficult to manage, with a high tendency toward frequent bruisings.  An ego - usually functioning at one unflattering or embarrassing extreme or another - is truly an "off-track" emotional roller-coaster, short a seatbelt and prone to abrupt, unexpected stops.
  

Mine hit the wall the other day. It was quite a crash and I didn't even see it coming....


Happened at The Fresh Market, a frou-frou organic food store near downtown Raleigh.  A stylish sort of place of high quality produce, meats, and fine wines with prices to match.  Always easy to trade a very large bucket of money for a very small (compostable, recyclable, probably edible!) paper bag of foodstuffs at The Fresh Market! Sure that you have a similar market in your hometown - it's all the rage right now, very chic!


Was waiting to check out one evening, with my little green basket. Only one cashier was working and the line had become thoroughly and seriously backed up.  The "antsy squirm, starting to look around" mood was just about to "set in" when a very attractive, young cashier appeared nearby.  She pointed directly at me, smiled, and purred: "Come this way, I will be happy to open my aisle for you!" It was kind of a Marilyn Monroe sorta purr! "...y-o-o-o-u-u!" 



Of course my ego immediately jumped to several ridiculous delusions!  Straightened up my tie and tried to bulk-up/slim down as best I could with a couple of quick, secretive (and totally ineffective!) inhalation/posture adjustments; and started to follow her toward the checkout lane. 


Half way there "Marilyn" turned and again purred: "I'm so happy to open my line for you, because you remind me so much of...(Robert Redford? George Clooney? Brad Pitt? Paul Newman? Cary Grant?!!!!).....my....(ex-boy friend? husband? brother? personal trainer? yoga instructor?!!!!)....Grandfather."


Grandfather? Grandfather?!!! Grandfather?!!!  My ego pancaked and then burrowed a hole into the floor to take itself even lower!!! Grandfather?!!!  Grandfather?!!!  Not even her Father;  no, no, no her Grandfather!!!

All I could muster was an incensed: "Well, I'll have you know I am younger than Mick Jagger!"



"Marilyn" purred rather coolly:                                                        "Most men are."

Y'know, we didn't talk much after that.....


You definitely can't get no satisfaction, when you have to jump from ego to egad!!....in such a flash!  

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahahahaha.....kind of like the first time somebody said 'Yes, sir!'

Anonymous said...

What a drag it is getting old!

Anonymous said...

At least she didn't say "Mick who"?


As an aside grandpa, who is Marilyn Monroe?

Anonymous said...

How do you like using the motorized carts?

Anonymous said...

Age is a chronological fact. Growing up is a choice!

Jim Blaine said...

Gonna wack someone with my walker if they keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Crankyness is the first sign. For some loss of hair even comes earlier. Then there is memory loss. But before that something else goes but I can't remember what it is.

Jim Blaine said...

The "something else" is with your keys... keep looking.